When searching for the perfect multifunction printer for your office, it’s important to understand what each device has to offer. The purpose of this review is to give you an in-depth glance into all of the features, specifications, upgrades, and more that the Xerox AltaLink C8155 has, and for you to decide if it’s the right device for your business.
Key Features and Specifications
Print speed: up to 55 B&W/Color PPM
Duty Cycle: up to 300,000 pages
Recommended volume per month: Recommended monthly volume is 10% of monthly duty cycle; 30,000.
Print resolution: up to 1200 x 2400 dpi.
Scan resolution: up to 600 x 600 dpi.
Available print sizes: 3.5 x 4.9 up to 12.6 x 52 in.
Intuitive User Experience
- A customizable interface so your employees can feel comfortable with and knowledgeable about their device
- Personalized profile options through user authentication
- Auto wake-up with a smart proximity sensor that can tell when you’re approaching the machine so your machine is awake and ready for use
- Adaptive Learning enabled to set up shortcuts for repetitive and complex jobs
Mobile and Cloud Ready
- Mobile Connectivity- Near Field Communication (NFC), Wifi, Apple AirPrint, and iBeacon (Bluetooth) compatibility
- Mobile Printing and Scanning- Compatible with all sorts of mobile printing software such as AirPrint (iOS), Mopria (Android), Xerox Print Service, and Xerox Workplace Mobile App
- Cloud-Ready- Upload and print directly from cloud repositories like Google Drive, Dropbox, and OneDrive
- Enjoy direct connection to cloud repositories via optional apps on Xerox ConnectKey App Gallery
Xerox offers the most robust security initiatives out of any copier/printer vendor, through its exclusive partnerships with Cisco and McAfee, and its inclusion of Network Security, Device Access, Data Protection, and Document Security. To learn more, read our article on Xerox’s Comprehensive Security Initiatives.
Xerox ConnectKey App Gallery
Related Reading: What is Xerox ConnectKey Technology?
Available Upgrades for the Xerox AltaLink C8155
- Two 520-Sheet Adjustable Trays: Common on most configurations. Tray 1 can handle media sizes up to 11.7 x 17 in./A3 and Tray 2 can handle media sizes up to 12 x 18 in./SRA3.
- High-Capacity Tandem Tray Configuration: holds a total paper capacity of up to 3,140 sheets.
- Bypass Tray: can handle up to 100 sheets; customizable sizes: 3.5 x 3.9 to 12.6 x 52 in./89 x 98 mm to 320 x 1,320 mm
- High-Capacity Feeder: holds 3,000 sheets of letter/A4 paper, increasing the maximum capacity to 6,140 sheets.
- Long Sheet Feed Kit: Provides the ability to print up to 12.6 x 52 in./320 x 1320 mm. Media.
- Office Finisher: Provides advanced finishing functions – crease/score and optional saddle-stitch booklet maker. Capable of making 60-page booklets (2 to 15 sheets).
- Business Ready (BR) Finisher: advanced finishing functions such as stapling and hole punching.
- BR Booklet Maker Finisher: Creates 64-page saddle-stitched booklets (2 to 16 sheets).
- C-Fold/Z-Fold Unit: Adds C-fold, Z-fold, and Z-half-fold to the BR finisher/BR Booklet Maker Finisher.
- Dual Offset Catch Tray: Only available if no finishers are installed – single offset tray with finishers.
- Integrated Office Finisher: Provides 500-sheet stacking and 50-sheet, 2-position stapling.
- Convenience Stapler: Staples up to 50 sheets of 20 lb./75 gsm media.
- Envelope Kit: provides feeding of up to 60 envelopes.
Pros of the Xerox AltaLink C8155
This machine was designed for the most demanding of workgroups, and therefore it has a high-quality output and can handle large print volumes.
It is incredibly versatile; it can handle numerous types of media like tabloid-sized paper or banners and can come equipped with a variety of finishing options.
You can print from anywhere, on any device. With Xerox ConnectKey apps, you can also automate complex workflows to easily translate documents into different languages, auto-redact forms, or scan to cloud repositories, all of which improve your office productivity.
Superior color rendering and 8-bit copying delivers consistency and exceptional image quality.
Cons of the Xerox AltaLink C8155
There are two main cons that can come with this machine: Size and Cost
Size: This is a large machine; it will not fit into any small corner or office space. So, before purchasing, make sure you check the dimensions on the machine and check to ensure you have enough space in your office.
Cost: this machine can be a large upfront cost for smaller businesses.
You also may need to update your electrical outlet to meet the specifications, but most new construction is already compatible with this newer requirement
Who is This Machine a Good Fit For?
The AltaLink C8155 is a good fit for any business with demanding workgroups that need a machine with speed, reliability, advanced security features, high-quality print outputs, can process a high volume of print/scan jobs, automated workflows, and advanced finishing options.
Who is This Machine NOT a Good Fit For?
This machine is not a good fit for businesses that don’t have a high demand for a feature-rich machine, with small workgroups, and small space for printing equipment. This is a robust machine that will not fit on a desktop or in a small environment like cubicles. The AltaLink C8155 was intended for larger, demanding workgroups, with greater print volumes or businesses that require advanced finishing options. If you simply need a printer for a smaller workgroup that only needs to print/scan/copy in smaller volumes and on a limited array of media, you may want to check out Xerox’s line of VersaLink multifunction printers.
How Much Does the Xerox AltaLink C8155 Cost?
Currently, for the AltaLink C8155 you can expect to pay around $11,000. Of course, this can vary with the additional upgrades available for purchase, or if you’re a part of a purchasing co-op. Some companies might offer a discount if you have a trade-in available as well. For more information regarding costs, we recommend checking out our blog, "How Much Does Leasing/Purchasing a Copier Cost?"
All in all, the AltaLink C8155 is a great machine capable of quickly handling large volumes and big workloads. Because of its price, it might be a little out of budget for some businesses, but luckily, we here at STPT offer several leasing and financing options, and are always here to help in any way that we can.