If you’ve found yourself on this page, it’s likely that you’re looking for the right multifunction printer for your office and came across the Xerox AltaLink C8130.
Here at STPT, we’re always striving to provide the best fit for businesses in search of copiers and printers. Keeping our customers informed on all of the different options available is a priority for us, as well as understanding our customers' applications and business needs.
In order to help you decide if this multifunction printer is right for you, we’ve created an in-depth review highlighting the features, upgrades, pros, cons, and overall cost for the Xerox AltaLink C8130.
Key Features and Specifications
Print Speed: 30 PPM (Color and B&W).
Monthly Duty Cycle: 90,000 pages per month
Recommended Volume per Month: 9,000 (10% of monthly duty cycle)
Print Resolution: up to 1200 x 2400 dpi
Scan Resolution: up to 600 x 600 dpi
Available Print Sizes:
- Single-Pass Duplex Automatic Document Feeder (DADF): paper sizes up to 3.4 x 4.9 in. To 11.7 x 17 in.
- Bypass Tray: paper sizes up to 3.5 x 3.9 in. To 12.6 x 52 in.
- Tray 1: paper sizes up to: 5.5 x 7.2 in. To 11.7 in. To 17 in.
- Tray 2: paper sizes up to 5.5 x 7.2 in. To 12 x 18 in.
Intuitive User Experience
- Customizable interface so your employees can feel comfortable with and knowledgeable about their device
- Personalized profile options through user authentication
- Auto wake-up with a smart proximity sensor that can tell when you’re approaching so your machine is awake and ready for use
- Adaptive Learning enabled to set up shortcuts for repetitive and complex jobs
Mobile and Cloud Ready
- Mobile Connectivity- Near Field Communication (NFC), Wifi, Apple AirPrint, and iBeacon (Bluetooth) compatibility
- Mobile Printing and Scanning- Compatible with all sorts of mobile printing software such as AirPrint (iOS), Mopria (Android), Xerox Print Service, and Xerox Workplace Mobile App
- Cloud-Ready- Upload and print directly from cloud repositories like Google Drive, Dropbox, and OneDrive
- Enjoy direct connection to cloud repositories via optional apps on Xerox ConnectKey App Gallery
Xerox offers the most robust security initiatives out of any copier/printer vendor, through its exclusive partnerships with Cisco and McAfee, and its inclusion of Network Security, Device Access, Data Protection, and Document Security. To learn more, read our article on Xerox’s Comprehensive Security Initiatives.
Xerox ConnectKey App Gallery
Through its tablet-like interface, ConnectKey provides access to various apps that can automate workflows, instantly translate documents, scan to cloud repositories, and so much more.
Related Reading: What is Xerox ConnectKey Technology?
- Two 520-Sheet Adjustable Trays: Common on most configurations. Tray 1 can handle media sizes up to 11.7 x 17 in./A3 and Tray 2 can handle media sizes up to 12 x 18 in./SRA3.
- High-Capacity Tandem Tray Configuration holds a total paper capacity of up to 3,140 sheets.
- Bypass Tray: can handle up to 100 sheets; customizable sizes: 3.5 x 3.9 to 12.6 x 52 in./89 x 98 mm to 320 x 1,320 mm
- High-Capacity Feeder: holds 3,000 sheets of letter/A4 paper, increasing the maximum capacity to 6,140 sheets.
- Long Sheet Feed Kit: Provides the ability to print up to 12.6 x 52 in./320 x 1320 mm. Media.
- Office Finisher: Provides advanced finishing functions – crease/score and optional saddle-stitch booklet maker. Capable of making 60-page booklets (2 to 15 sheets).
- Business Ready (BR) Finisher: advanced finishing functions such as stapling and hole punching.
- BR Booklet Maker Finisher: Creates 64-page saddle-stitched booklets (2 to 16 sheets).
- C-Fold/Z-Fold Unit: Adds C-fold, Z-fold, and Z-half-fold to the BR finisher/BR Booklet Maker Finisher.
- Dual Offset Catch Tray: Only available if no finishers are installed – single offset tray with finishers.
- Integrated Office Finisher: Provides 500-sheet stacking and 50-sheet, 2-position stapling.
- Convenience Stapler: Staples up to 50 sheets of 20 lb./75 gsm media.
- Envelope Kit: provides feeding of up to 60 envelopes.
Pros of the AltaLink C8130
The AltaLink C8130, just like the rest of the AltaLink family, is designed for demanding workgroups, and therefore it has a high-quality output and can handle large print volumes. It’s also incredibly versatile and is compatible with numerous types of media-like tabloid-sized paper or banners and can come equipped with a variety of finishing options.
For the quality and production level that the AltaLink C8130 consistently delivers, it’s very well priced and perfect for businesses who’d like to lease before they buy. You get an advanced multifunction printer with versatile media options, high-quality print and scan resolution, and the ability to add an array of finishing options, all without having to spend an exuberant amount of money.
Cons of the AltaLink C8130
This machine is large, and it takes up a bit of space, making it unviable for businesses with limited space or who can only make room for a desktop unit. Before you buy, make sure to ask a business consultant for a copy of the AltaLink C8130 CEIG, which will contain the specific space requirements for your device. This way you know what to expect during installation and afterward.
Who is the AltaLink C8130 a Good Fit For?
This machine is a great fit for medium-sized businesses, or small businesses with a high monthly print volume and need a wide array of finishing options. It's well-priced, and leasing options can make this unit accessible to smaller businesses that may not be able to manage a larger upfront cost.
Who is the AltaLink C8130 NOT a Good Fit For?
This machine is not a good fit for large businesses or any business with a demanding monthly print volume. If you are a large business with a heavy print volume, you may need to look at a model with a higher print volume and speed, such as the AltaLink C8155, which has a monthly duty cycle of 300,000 compared to the C8130’s 90,000.
Currently, for the AltaLink C8130, you can expect to start at around $7,200. Of course, this can vary with the additional upgrades available for purchase, or if you’re part of a purchasing co-op. Some companies might offer a discount if you have a trade-in as well. For more information regarding costs, we recommend checking out our article How Much Does Leasing/Purchasing a Copier Cost?
Think the Xerox AltaLink C8130 Might Be Right for You?
After reading this review you now have a good in-depth understanding of the Xerox AltaLink C8130, and you have a clearer idea if it’s a good fit for you and your organization. You can approach any sales conversation with the upper hand, and the confidence you need to know you’re making the right decision.
If you’d like to move forward with the AltaLink C8130, reach out to us here at STPT, and we’ll assist you in getting the multifunction printer that your office needs.
If the AltaLink C8130 doesn’t sound like it’s the machine for you, check out some of the similar options we offer such as the VersaLink C7030 or the AltaLink C8145.