If you’ve found yourself on this page, it’s likely that you’re looking for the right multifunction printer for your office and came across the Xerox AltaLink B8145.
Here at STPT, we’re always striving to provide the best fit for businesses in search of copiers and printers. To do that, we have to know a lot about what it is that we’re providing- and how it’s going to benefit our customers. Keeping our customers informed on all of the different options available is a priority for us.
In order to help you decide if this multifunction printer is right for you, we’ve created an in-depth review highlighting the features, upgrades, pros, cons, and overall cost for the Xerox AltaLink B8145.
Key Features and Specifications
Print Speed: 45ppm
Monthly Duty Cycle: 200,000
Recommended Volume per Month: 15,000-50,000
Print Resolution: Up to 1200 x 2400 dpi
Scan Resolution: Up to 600 x 600 dpi
Max Print Sizes: 3.5 x 3.9 up to 12.6 x 52 in.
Intuitive User Experience
- Customizable interface so your employees can feel comfortable with and knowledgeable about their device
- Personalized profile options through user authentication
- Auto wake-up with smart proximity sensor that can tell when you’re approaching so your machine is awake and ready for use
- Adaptive Learning enabled to set up shortcuts for repetitive and complex jobs
Mobile and Cloud Ready
- Mobile Connectivity- Near Field Communication (NFC), Wifi, Apple AirPrint, and iBeacon (Bluetooth) compatibility
- Mobile Printing and Scanning- Compatible with all sorts of mobile printing software such as AirPrint (iOS), Mopria (Android), Xerox Print Service, and Xerox Workplace Mobile App
- Cloud-Ready- Upload and print directly from cloud repositories like Google Drive, Dropbox, and OneDrive
- Enjoy direct connection to cloud repositories via optional apps on Xerox ConnectKey App Gallery
Xerox offers the most robust security initiatives out of any copier/printer vendor, through its exclusive partnerships with Cisco and McAfee, and its inclusion of Network Security, Device Access, Data Protection, and Document Security. To learn more, read our article on Xerox’s Comprehensive Security Initiatives.
Xerox ConnectKey App Gallery
Through its tablet-like interface, ConnectKey provides access to various apps that can automate workflows, instantly translate documents, scan to cloud repositories, and so much more.
Related Reading: What is Xerox ConnectKey Technology?
Two 520-sheet Adjustable Trays (common with all configurations).
Tray 1 handles media sizes up to 11.7 x 17in./A3 and Tray 2 handles media sizes up to 12 x18in./SRA3.
High-Capacity Tandem Tray Configuration
Holds a total paper capacity of up to 3,140 sheets.
Handles up to 100 sheets; Custom sizes: 3.5 x 3.9 to 12.6 x 52in./89 x 98mm to 320 x 1,320mm.
(Optional – replaces Tray 1) provides feeding of up to 60 envelopes.
High-Capacity Feeder (optional)
Holds 3,000 sheets of letter/A4 paper, increasing the maximum paper capacity to 6,140 sheets.
Long Sheet Feed Kit (optional)
Provides the ability to print up to 12.6 x 52in./320 x 1,320 mm media.
Office Finisher (optional)
Provides advanced finishing functions, optional crease/score and saddle-stitch booklet, making it capable of 60-page booklets (2 to 15 sheets).
Business ready (BR) Finisher (optional)
Gives you advanced finishing functions at a great value.
BR Booklet Maker Finisher (optional)
Creates 64-page saddle-stitched booklets (2-16 sheets).
C-Fold/Z-Fold Unit (optional)
Adds C-fold, Z-fold and Z-half-fold to the BR Finisher or BR booklet Maker Finisher.
Dual Offset Catch Tray
Available when no finishers are installed; Single Offset Catch Tray with finishers.
Integrated Office Finisher (optional with B8145/B8155)
Provides 500-sheet stacking and 50-sheet, 2-position stapling.
Convenience Stapler (optional)
Staples up to 50 sheets of 20 lb./75 gsm media.
Pros of the AltaLink B8145
- The Smart Proximity Sensor will detect and automatically activate when users are approaching, conserving energy during inactive periods.
- Environmentally sustainable, without sacrificing any quality or performance, read more about Xerox's Environmental Initiatives here.
- Mobile and Cloud Ready, making it easy to connect and print to any device and seamlessly access cloud services.
- Its durability and versatility are unmatched; it can print various types of media from A5 up to tabloid-sized paper and banners – from 52 to 300 gsm.
Cons of the AltaLink B8145
Size and Cost
Size: This is a large machine that will not fit into tight spaces, small corners or anywhere that the machine won’t have sufficient airflow. Before purchasing, make sure you check the space requirements on the machine and find a suitable space in your office for it to be installed.
Cost: This machine can be a large upfront cost for smaller businesses but will save you time and money in the long run.
Who is the AltaLink B8145 a Good Fit For?
- Customers with the highest print demands.
- Large workgroups that require A3/11’x17” printing, high speed, high volume, high capacity, and advanced finishing options.
- Businesses running a workload of around 15,000 pages per month.
Who is the AltaLink B8145 NOT a Good Fit For?
- Customers needing a machine for personal use.
- Small businesses
- Businesses running a workload of more than the recommended print volume of 15,000-50,000 pages per month.
Currently, for the AltaLink B8145, you can expect to pay around $8,364. Of course, this can vary with the additional upgrades available for purchase, or if you’re a part of a purchasing co-op. Some companies might offer a discount if you have a trade-in available as well. For more information regarding costs, we recommend checking out our blog, "How Much Does Leasing/Purchasing a Copier Cost?"
Think the Xerox AltaLink B8145 Might Be Right for You?
After reading this review you now have a good in-depth understanding of the Xerox AltaLink B8145, and you have a clearer idea if it’s a good fit for you and your organization. You can approach any sales conversation with the upper hand, and the confidence you need to know you’re making the right decision.
If you’d like to move forward with the AltaLink B8145, reach out to us here at STPT, and we’ll assist you in getting the multifunction printer that your office needs.