Can a car function safely without its brake pads? Or parts of its engine?
Your printer works the same way. It is a machine that depends on all its parts to function properly, and when one of those parts is damaged, your printer can't function as it should.
Unfortunately, figuring out how to repair or replace a part on your own can be complicated.
Replacing some damaged printer parts on your own can save a lot of time and money, but every printer model is different, and many printer parts have different configurations, replacement time intervals, and service needs.
Luckily, we make it our goal at STPT to provide quality printing information that is easy to understand, so you know where to go to find answers to your print questions.
Using a how-to guide like this one can streamline the replacement process, so you can rely on a knowledgeable print expert to walk you through all the steps.
In this article, our top-notch service technician, Matthew, is going to illustrate the drum cartridge replacement process for Xerox VersaLink B600 series printers. He’ll go through it all step-by-step, so you don’t miss a beat.
As a service technician at STPT, Matthew simplifies printer maintenance. His how-to quick printer fixes on YouTube have been a big hit, so he’s providing a quick, easy-to-read tutorial for those of you who prefer written directions.
Take the pressure off by trusting our STPT printer specialists to help you through it. With almost 40 years in the business, our team has the expertise to make the replacement process quick and easy for you.
Drums (Imaging Kit) Replacement for Xerox VersaLink B600s Series Printers
Xerox Imaging Kits or Drum units are specially designed to help your printer transfer toner powder to paper to form images. It is electrically charged and is necessary component of the printing process.
Imaging kits are designed to work with specific models of printers and are made to be easy to replace so customers can get back to work as soon as possible.
In this how-to guide, Matthew explains how to replace the drum cartridge on the following compatible Xerox printer models:
• VersaLink B600
• VersaLink B605
• VersaLink B610
• VersaLink B615
For the purposes of this how-to guide, Matthew will be walking through the replacement process on a Xerox VersaLink B610 model printer, but the process is the same for any compatible printer model.
Different machines have different supply items and settings. That’s why it is important to follow the instructions specific to your Xerox printer model. For more information about replacing other parts on different Xerox printer models, check out:
Let’s uncomplicate printer maintenance by walking through toner replacement. You can follow the process by reading the written instructions provided below (with pictures) or you can watch the video linked at the top of the blog.
Part One: Remove Old or Damaged Drum Cartridge
1. Open your printer’s front door or cover by grabbing each side and pulling straight out so the door opens.
2. First, remove your toner by pulling it straight out by grabbing the black handles on either side of the orange strip and pulling straight out.
3. Now, you will see your imaging unit, also called a drum. There is an orange handle on the front.
4. Grab the orange handle and pull the cartridge up and out using the guides at the sides of the machine.
5. Do not touch the green roll on the back of the imaging unit. Doing so can cause damage.
Part Two: Insert New Drum Cartridge
1. There is an LED array inside the cavity on the machine. You will want to clean it before inserting the new drum cartridge.
2. The LED array is located on the other side of the white line (see image above.)
3. Find your orange cleaning tool on the underside of the front cover of your printer.
4. The cleaning tool has a little pad that you can use to clean the LED array.
5. Set the cleaning tool downwards on the gray metal strip behind the white line. Then slide the tool back-and-forth to clean the array. When you’re done, re-insert the tool into its slot on the front cover.
6. Take your new drum out of its box.
7. Being careful not to touch the green roll on the back of the unit, locate the two dowels on the sides of the drum cartridge. One is white and the other is silver.
8. The black wheels sit on the black guides located on each side of the printer.
9. Using the orange handle, set the dowels onto the guides at the sides of the printer and slowly push the drum cartridge in until it clicks into place.
10. Then, you will place your toner cartridge back in the machine by setting it in its shelf and using the grooves on its sides. Slide the toner cartridge into place until you hear it click.
11. Shut the cover on your printer.
And that’s it! You’re done.
Your new drum unit should be properly installed so you can get back to work without any printer maintenance hassles.
Need Another Quick Printer Fix?
If you want to make your printer’s maintenance quicker and easier, check out our YouTube channel.
The Printing Workshop gives you free access to all our YouTube video tutorials. Let our service technicians and print experts walk you through simple tech solutions for your Xerox printer.
Have a Problem with Your Copier Printer that isn’t a quick fix? Reach out to us. We’d love to help.